Most international students apply to schools in the United States of America, United Kingdom, and Canada. Still, many other countries will also accept applicants.
Several universities in other countries can offer much more value than some schools in the USA, UK, and Canada. As one who wants to study abroad, the initial steps you need to take include:
- Know the course you intend to study
- Carry out a research on schools that offer your course of study
- Write out a list of your preferred countries of study
- Run an in depth research on each country
As you research the country, it is important to look out for certain factors. These factors will help you decide on whether you would like to study in a particular country or not. They include:
- Adventure: Travelling abroad to study is an adventure because people want to see the world. They want to experience new and exciting things. If you are applying to study in any country aside from your home country, look out for places that will present you with all the exciting adventures you can think of. You can make searches like “Study abroad locations with access to a beach” or “Universities with access to hot air balloon”
- Quality Education: Intending to study abroad? Be on the lookout for high quality education as opposed to going with the crowd. In this light, you can ask questions like “Best university to study medicine in Germany”. It isn’t wise to apply to schools in the USA, UK and Canada because others are doing it. If you must go with these countries, you must ensure that the schools and countries are capable of giving you the academic value you desire.
- University Rankings: Check for university rankings. You can type in “Best University in France” or “Best University in Germany” to see Universities that rank high in your preferred country of study. Another way to compare university rankings is to find out the criteria used by the ranking bodies to rank each university. Some ranking bodies like Academic Ranking of World Universities and The Higher Education World Ranking rank universities based on their research performance, learning environment and quality of education.
- Cost of Living: When looking up study abroad locations, it is important to know the cost of living in a particular country. You need to know how much electricity costs, gas costs etc especially if you intend to live off campus.
- Affordability: It is important to look out for affordable schools within a particular country. You can make searches like “Affordable Universities in Manchester” or “Affordable Tuitions in Switzerland ” so that your searches are narrowed down appropriately.
- Job Opportunities: Chances are if you are applying to study abroad, you will want to work abroad. When looking up countries and schools abroad, it is important to scout for countries that permit you to work while schooling.