A university transcript is an official document that contains details of your academic record throughout your course of study. It contains your course of study, the courses taken, marks awarded for each course and your cumulative grades. Sometimes, it may contain the number of students who took each course and the average grade of the students in that course.
When do you need a transcript?
Transcripts are usually required to apply to a school abroad. This document is mandatory and a proof that you have completed school. It is one of the documents used to determine if you are suitable for the course you applied for. If you are applying to be a graduate student, you’ll need a transcript of your undergraduate study. If you are applying to be an undergraduate student, you’ll need a transcript of your high school/secondary school education.
Some other information about getting your transcript from a Nigerian University
- It takes between 1 to 3 weeks to get your transcript
- It costs between 10,000 NGN and 100, 000 NGN depending on your institution of study
- You can collect an electronic copy or a hard copy of your transcript
- Depending on the institution, a family member or friend can receive your transcript for you if you’re unavailable.
There are 3 major ways by which you can get your transcript faster.
One of the ways is by using your school’s website to order your transcript online. Here’s what you need to do:
- Visit your school’s portal
- Fill out required details
- Create a profile for your transcript
- Enter your matriculation number
- Make payment
- Provide a destination or shipping details
- Track the delivery progress
Another way is by employing the service of a transcript request and delivery agency in Nigeria. Transcript.ng, ETX-NG and Seamfix.com are some agencies that can help with transcript request and delivery. It is important to understand that the promptness or delay of these agencies is highly dependent on your institution.
A third way is by requesting for your transcript yourself. As an alumni, you can visit your alma mater by going to the exams and records department of your institution, pay the stipulated amount for getting a transcript and request for the transcript you need.